Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A Musical Survey of the World's People

It would be remiss of me not to return with a post detailing some of the music I encountered in my two weeks abroad. So here now for your pleasure is a three-song set of the best (worst?) of what I heard. I don't think I need to tell you that this whole exercise is dedicated to the resplendent Lewis Michael Beesley.

Hurra Torpedo - Total Eclipse of the Heart

This is without a doubt the best appliance-core cover by a Norwegian band of an '80s pop song that I heard in my entire trip.



Los Colorados - Hot 'n' Cold

We don't have to move too far afield to get to our next number. The best part is that they're all from Ukraine.



Horkýže Slíže - R'n'B Soul

It's Slovaks ... rapping! I don't want to say these guys are enormous in Europe, but this particular song inspired at least one out-of-focus LEGO music video. Embedding is disabled; watch the original video here. And, yes, all Slovak women are that hot ... until age 30. Then they all look like this.

6 comments:

Sycophantman said...

Hurra Torpedo is pretty amazing, by which I mean they all need more cancer in their lives.

Craig said...

So that last one is a joke, right? Their terminal case of Color Me Badd hair is a stylistic decision and not the latest in fashion among the nations of the former Eastern Bloc.

Sycophantman said...

I think Tyler has come back to us with a burning disdain for our proud country, and now he wants us to suffer.

Oh God... It's Lou. said...

But, but... the US Military has now officially stopped awarding new manpower in the service branches the Global War on Terrorism medal. ...?

Whisk E. Bear said...

Yes, the Horkyze Slize is meant to be a (probably somewhat racist, if we could understand the lyrics) parody of hip-hop.

I don't know ... taken with a little humor, I really didn't think these were all that objectively awful. I think it's pretty clear they all want their audiences in on the joke ... but maybe it is just a terrible joke.

Oh God... It's Lou. said...

Tyler's word, I almost forgot, is Euro.