Friday, August 28, 2009

Gary Numan - Down in the Park

First of all, I don't really care about this song. I mean, it's okay I guess, it's about robots or something. A little proggy for my taste, with the keyboards and the pyramids. Plus, it's fucking Gary Numan, the "Cars" guy, a person whose entire career now consists of having Joel Stein make painfully unfunny comments about him on those VH1 countdown shows (there was one on the other night, which is why I was thinking about this in the first place.)

No, I posted this for two reasons. One is, the popup video for "Cars" had one popup where it said something like "Gary's current hobbies include flying his airplane and right-wing politics" which I still think is pretty damn funny. And two, there was the one character in Maniac Mansion who was supposed to be a New Wave artist and whose look was obviously based on Gary Numan and his band.

Besides, not everything on here has to be great - we should explore the vast, rotted underbelly of the music business too (you should have seen the first song I had planned, consider yourselves lucky.)

5 comments:

Steve said...

Awful, the Foo Fighters do a cover of this. Also awful.

Ironic the last song was a Scary Monsters era Bowie tune since the song Teenage Wildlife from that album is Bowie taking aim at Numan for "treating him like some piece of Teenage Wildlife"

Craig said...

I'm fairly certain that you were the one who pointed out the Maniac Mansion thing to me. I was going to make a note of it, but I figured you'd post. They used to show this video on "The Alternative" on VH1 Classic for some reason, when I still got that channel.

Oh God... It's Lou. said...

Is it just me, or does he have a sort of Isaac/Children of the Corn thing going on here?

Craig's word, to be sure, is Craig.

This scores... hm... I'll give it two Craigs out of seven.

Sycophantman said...

Let's have next week dedicated to awful music then, it'll be a thing.

Whisk E. Bear said...

Guys ... I did the awful music thing on Wednesday. And it was even European music.