Thursday, December 11, 2008

Marion Black - Who Knows

All I am going to say here is "eerie", and "shrouded in mystery". This man does not have a wikipedia page, and barely has an allmusic one. This is what you can get from google. Lucky for some of you (although this may not be the case on future Thursdays), this singer is not someone I know personally, or some unknown folk-punk messiah. He is Marion Black, and he is Soul.



(I wish that I could say that I discovered this song myself. Instead I found it on the Weeds soundtrack. So, still excellent.)

((The "another day" bridge is lifted from an old gospel song, "Just Another Day", I think. I have Sam Cooke singing that one.))

10 comments:

TomHat said...

mm. another good song. I wish it were longer.

Sycophantman said...

We do have a good batting average going so far. Of course, we do have Craig on tap for tomorrow...

Whisk E. Bear said...

Reading that blog link a little more closely, I see his (tragically small) catalog is being reissued on some soul compilations by the Numero Group. My roommate has a bunch of their stuff, which is consistently excellent.

Well, I did some digging.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/3u1724

http://www.sendspace.com/file/pm0hpp

These were linked on the Bosnian music blog that I frequent.

(The song is unbelievable, of course.)

Joseph Blaschke said...

A very good song. Catchy and upbeat, in a soulful sort of way.

Craig said...

Daniel wins.

Wes Andrews said...

I'm pretty sure Moby sampled this on Play.

Sycophantman said...

Daniel wins? Well yes, it was pretty good, wasn't it?

Whisk E. Bear said...

I don't know if we need to declare victory outright and close up shop. I mean, I could just shut it all down, but then we wouldn't be able to enjoy the dulcet sounds of TomHat radio -- TomHat, when you just need to move your bowels.

Werdna said...

Nicely done, Dan.

The pressure is building on everyone else to keep the streak alive. I hope I don't wuss out and make a conservative choice.

Sycophantman said...

Watch TomHat give us the very best yet.

This old thing? Just heedless optimism is all, pay no mind.