Thursday, December 25, 2008

John Lee Hooker & Canned Heat - Burning Hell

Yeah, so I decided to go negative for this Christmas, like Steve Schmidt would've. Rejected songs-of-the-day: "Jesus Christ" by Woody Guthrie (too depressing), "God's Gonna Cut You Down" by Odetta (too terrifying), "Christmas" by Beat Happening (too weird), and "Lost in the Stars" by Kurt Weill (all of the above). What we are left with is this blues-drone track from an early 70s collaboration between legendary John Lee Hooker and unlegendary Woodstock-appearing bluesy Canned Heat.


This song is really good, I think, and somewhat fitting. Comes with that *not for Aaron tag, being blues, but I still find Hooker's take here surprising given the religious nature of the genre.

I doubt you all are believers, anyway.

2 comments:

Whisk E. Bear said...

Yeah no one deserves the fate of having to follow you. I'ma look for that collaboration on vinyl.

Werdna said...

That was awesome.