Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mayhem - Freezing Moon

Norway, land of enchantment, fjords, and a badass resistance movement during World War II. Probably a lot of mythological stuff that influenced the Lord of the Rings, I don't know. I'm going there!

There is also black metal there.



He cuts himself on his arms, which I believe is known as "metal as fuck." So Mayhem are legends of black metal. They're like the Beatles with more suicide and intra-band murder and the same amount of satanism. There are two infamous moments in this band's history:

1. Their original vocalist Dead slit his wrists and blew his brains out with a shotgun. Upon discovering the body, band members went to the store to buy a disposable camera to take photos, which later appeared on the cover of some bootleg album. According to legend, they made a stew from his brains and necklaces from his skullbits. The band later denied the former and confirmed the latter.

2. In 1993 a temporary member of the band stabbed Mayhem's guitarist to death, a moment that is hauntingly dramatized here.

Look I'm not going to pretend I know anything about this music. I kind of hate it. I absolutely hate it. I just picked the shortest and most slightly palatable clip for you guys because I am going to Norway this Friday. Your suggestions on the method by which I should kill myself while listening to black metal in the comments.

3 comments:

Craig said...

I don't care how you kill yourself as long as a fjord is prominently involved.

Anonymous said...

I'd really rather just go to Norway.

Anonymous said...

(Wait, I think the last time I commented I did it as ellaesther. ellaesther = Emily L. Hauser = ellaesther. Both want to go to Norway).