Saturday, May 9, 2009

She & Him - Why Do You Let Me Stay Here?

Hey, I'm new here, and I thought I'd get off to a bad start. Here's the second track off of Zooey Deschanel's debut album (she did it with this other guy who sounds like a neighborhood in New Orleans). Lately I've been listening to a lot of celebrity vanity albums, and I think that Vol. 1 exemplifies why: ZD is not trying to make a career as a musician (she has a day job), so she doesn't have to do anything to make her album popular. She just has to make music like she wants, and it opens her up creatively in a way you don't see that often. This song is just fun, like someone really really smart wrote an early 60's girl-group song and then just sang it herself, acting as her own chorus. And the music video is crazy.
Lemme know if I blogged this wrong or anything.

2 comments:

(Dan) said...

This was weirder than you explained. Good selection from your vanity stable to start us off. (Hugs.)

Craig said...

I don't know how to feel about this. I like Zooey Deschanel (Almost Famous, fuck yeah) and this isn't a bad song, but her voice is lousy, and this thing just screams vanity project.