Friday, July 16, 2010

Melodians - Rivers of Babylon

When I went on my trip a few months ago, I brought this book with me to read. Well I mean, I didn't "bring it with me", it was just the book I was reading at the time and hadn't finished. Anyway, I had my iPod on shuffle and this song came up. It's based on a couple of Psalms - 137 in particular, and also 19. That passage from 19 comes up at...some point during the year, so that even a completely unobservant Jew like me knows it:

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight,O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

So anyway, the point of this long and rambling story is that, as that song was playing, I happened to be reading the exact part of the book where he mentions one of the Psalms listed, and I can't remember which because the important part is that he mentions the song too, that the words of the Psalm features prominently in a song from the The Harder They Come soundtrack. Get the book (it's a fun read, at least I think so), you'll see. I laughed, the people on the plane probably thought I was a crazy person. I couldn't figure out if it was a good or a bad omen, but it was a weird coincidence.

No comments: