Sunday, December 13, 2009

Oscar, I am sort of short on dough so I made you a mixtape for your birthday. I hope that is okay with you. Keep having wild years, in any case.

Alright, so I did a mix. I don't think anyone else is doing one, so I am going to look like an asshole who keeps doing things years after everyone else ceases to care, but I guess maybe it is too late to save that part of my reputation. Anyhow. I am actually uploading two versions of the mix. One version I mixed together in garageband into one track, which makes it flow a little smoother (plus it includes an intro and closing statement from your truly!) and sounds kind of cool, but the downside is it is sort of annoying if you are not going to listen to it in one go, because then you have to remember the time that you left off at and it is a disaster. The other version is just the mp3 files all thrown together and blah blah blah boring, but maybe you want to download that version, whatever.

(Hopefully you will listen to this and then yell at me and tell me that my taste in music is yucky and also maybe you will include something about me being an asshole, but it will be okay because at least you listened!) ((And for what it is worth you will call me an asshole either way so I win no matter what!)) ((((Wait, what?)))) ((((((((Oh no, exponential parenthetical growth!))))))))

One track version!

15 track version.

1. Deli - Delorean - Ayrton Senna EP
I am pretty sure I posted this at some point this year. It is just a pretty fun thing to listen to while you are driving!
2. This Tornado Loves You - Neko Case - Middle Cyclone
Yeah yeah Neko Case is sort of the best.
3. God Help The Girl - God Help The Girl - God Help The Girl
This one I don't think I would have ever heard about if not for Aaron, so yeah, big hugs there.
4. Yalira - The Very Best from Warm Heart Of Africa
These guys are pretty fun to listen to if you are in a good mood.
5. Chains, Chains, Chains - Elvis Perkins - In Deerland
Elvis, on the other hand is more for if you are in more of a brooding mood. Okay, maybe not the best of songs to group together, but awkwardness is sort of a thing on this mix.
6. Stay Off The F*%$#n’ Flowers (feat. Raekwon) - Blakroc - Blakroc
See, a bit of an awkward transition here. Anyhow, it is a fun album.
7. My Night with the Prostitute From Marseille - Beirut - Holland EP
(Jebus, I feel like I posted most all of these songs at some point this year and have nothing new to offer.) Oh wells. I am a bit of a Zach Condon fanboy. Let me be.
8. Hardcore Gentlemen - Tanya Morgan - Brooklynati
I have listened to this song so much this year and I still giggle every single time he goes "DUN DUN NAH!" (Is that how you would spell it out? I do not know.) But yeah. Every time.
9. Sailing Home To Bodymore. - (Just listen to the thing) - lol
OKAY I DON'T REALLY CARE WHAT YOU DO BUT JUST LISTEN TO THIS ONE SONG PLEASE. (Really, I spent most of the time I was working on this thing doing this one song, which is just mixing quotes from The Wire over a song from the Where The Wild Things Are soundtrack and it was really fun to do and I think it is sort of funny and stuff. AND HOPEFULLY YOU WILL LISTEN TO IT!) ((If you are listening to this on the one track version you can just skip to about the 25 minute mark to listen to this and appease me.))
10. The Privateers - Andrew Bird - Noble Beast
Oh yeah, so the reason I added in the Karen O/Bunk/Bodie funfest was because there was the problem of how do you transition from the Tanya Morgan song to anything else on this mix. So my answer was to be silly. But now we are on to Andrew Bird. I love Andrew Bird. Did you notice my moniker is Andrew spelled backwards? That is how much I love this guy! I think this (or maybe the Neko Case) would be my favorite album of the year.
11. 40 Day Dream - Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros - Up From Below
Actually, this is another contender for album of the year. "Home" was my favorite track, but I decided to go with this, because I had already posted "Home" and this is a good tune too and why not!
12. All Your Secrets - Yo La Tengo - Popular Songs
You guys know I love Yo La Tengo. They are so good.
13. Dreams-Come-True-Girl (Ft. Karen Black) - Cass McCombs - Catacombs
I think I read about this album on Pitchfork and it mostly caught my attention because I saw his name and I was like "what the hell is a guy with the first name Cass doing being reviewed by Pitchfork? Aren't there lots of colleges in need of a good starting quarterback? (because his name sounds like a QB's, you see.)" and so that is why I checked it out and it turns out it is a great great album. I was humming the chorus for weeks. Now just imagine him on the football field!
14. Run Chicken Run - The Felice Brothers - Yonder Is The Clock
I have still not really forgiven Aaron for holding out on us last year with the Felice Brothers. This is just a perfect band for me.
15. Lucky Day - Tom Waits - Glitter And Doom
And then you have the obligatory Tom. (The rest of this is mostly between me and Tyler.) I like this version of this song a lot, actually. The version on The Black Rider is all circus-y and wild--which is the point on that album, of course--but it really hides the sheer beauty of this song.
Hugs to you, Tom.

And to you, O.W.Y. It's been a good year.

3 comments:

Werdna said...

And for me, the post of the year was the one for the William Shatner version of "Common People," which got me to go out and download that album (which I loved) and then Craig threatened to post Pulp (but never followed up :sadface:) which made me realize they were a band I had never listened to and I downloaded some of their stuff and loved it. So that one post (with the comments) opened up a bunch of new music to me and it was wonderful.

Oh God... It's Lou. said...

ASSHOLE!

You took my idea... Kind of. Well, I wasn't going to post a mixxer, but I've been scrambling amongst the ratpile that is my wall locker to find the adapter for my digital camera to make a bit of a "birthday week" closing on Tuesday.

Nice. Mix.

Also, you included ES&MZ. I had planned on setting "Up From Below" as the background music of "Lou's holiday shout-out" video with my ugly mug talking about random shit and what-not. I'll still do it, but now I got to find something a little less than stellar.

I still think the title track on that album is the bestestness.

Hugs, drew. I'm gonna find some time to hustle back up to the city of angelos area and bust up a couple more brews before New Years.

(I decided to skip out on Foreigner on the 15th... They were playing at Belly Up, where I saw Edward Sharpe last month.)

((Long posts beget long comments.))

(((AnPoL?)))

Whisk E. Bear said...

I just got around to this now (because I'm the asshole). Good mix, and the Bodymore thing is a lot of fun. Edward Sharpe is pretty outstanding, hugs for Elvis Perkins and Andrew Bird and Tom Waits, but you knew that already. Oh, I like Beruit, too. It's OK, you're not alone.